Monday, October 19, 2009

Awesome/Not Awesome (10-19-09)

You may remember last week (10-12-09) when I said I wouldn’t pay attention to the Buffalo Bills until they fire their head coach, Dick Jauron.

But old habits die hard. And I got to see the Bills win in OT against the Jets. In the Meadowlands by the way.

So yes, I’m a liar.

But, if it makes up for it all- I STILL think Dick Jauron should be fired. Enough of that.

AWESOME- Swine Flu

Now, I know what you’re thinking.

Really? Really, starckie?

Yes! Here’s the thing:

I have not gotten sick yet. I always get sick. And why do you think I’ve been able to avoid disease this far into October?

Because the swine flu has everyone so worked up, precautions against ANY disease are through the roof. Hygiene is wayyy up, particularly washing your hands and shit like that. And as anyone who knows me will tell you, I HATE having shit on my hands.

But somehow the swine flu has still made its way into our communities, despite our best efforts. But do we give up?

Fuck no, we quarantine them until they are well over the disease and well past the contagious stage. I have never been happier, because that’s probably the number one why others get sick- some douche bag has to come into school or work with his communicable illness, and he just has to touch every fucking thing in the damn place. And then one of us touches it, and now we’re sick, and the cycle repeats itself, because it takes a day to figure out we’re sick with it too.

Well, I say fuck that shit. And to my surprise, everybody else said that too. And fuck that shit we did.

“This ol’ swine flu ain’t got shit on us.”

I realize it’s only mid-October, and we’ve got a long way to go. But I’m encouraged.

Plus, the Church has banned drinking from the Cup, and extending a handshake during the sign of peace as a precaution, making for some very awkward, very funny, exchanges. It’s something like this:

“We now offer each other a sign of peace.”




“Um…. Hi.”

I actually saw somebody literally give the peace sign. Now that’s fucking awesome.

So, swine flu, thank you- nothing changes policies like crippling fear.


NOT AWESOME: Restroom Symbols

This is something I plain don't get. How about just writing "Men" and "Women" on the doors? Or even just "M" and "W"? That'll get the job done.

The worst thing that could happen is the screws holding the W come lose and it flips over to M. And how often does THAT happen?

My real issue is the symbols though, which are stupid and potentially confusing.

First, the men symbol. It's just some silhouette of a person with no distinguishing characteristics. There is no indication it's a man. Plus, it looks like he's naked! I know they are going for simplicity, but this is ridiculous. There's no reason it couldn't be a woman.

And if that's not enough for ya, the women symbol is far worse. It's a person in a dress.

That's it? That's what define women as such. The dress.

I guess we want to reinforce stereotypes from the 50s that all women must look cutesy and proper in a dress.

What if you're a woman wearing pants (gasp!) and you took the pictures literally?

You'd go into the men's room!

But worse still, it kinda looks the same man from the men symbol just put on a dress! It's very possible the woman is actually a man in drag. Now that's a scary thought.

And if you are a man in drag, then how the fuck do you figure out which bathroom to use?!

Luckily, I have a solution. If you're going to rely on symbols to identify restrooms, then make the men's symbol a silhouette of a cock. No fucking around here- you got a dick, you go in here.

For the women it's a bit harder- the silhouette thing doesn't really work. So, ladies, with no offense intended, I propose we make the women's symbol the men's symbol with one of those "no" and "anti" symbols over it. Like in the Ghostbusters logo.

Now, how would you ever get confused with that?!

I think even ambiguous cases of sex would be able to figure that out.

So, when you see the restroom symbols, think of a cock or no-cock symbol. If that doesn't solve the problem, I don't know what will. And I find that pretty damn awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment